Wednesday, July 9, 2008

40 Years ago today


When you hear "A&P" you might think of a great grocery store chain of yesteryear. Anyone around aviation understands it refers to an aircraft mechanic. "A&P" is verbal shorthand for a mechanic holding an FAA mechanic certificate with Airframe and Powerplant ratings.

Forty years ago today I became an A&P. Today is Shawn Bupp's first day as an A&P.

In my career I added an FAA Inspection Authorization and in 1991 the FAA designated me a mechanic examiner. In the FAA's acronym ridden system, I'm refered to as a DME. A DME administers a mechanic applicant's oral and practical exam.

Shawn is the 150th exam I've administered, and he demonstrated that MMS Aviation meets its goal of quality training for mechanics going into mission aviation. (As a DME I examine mechanic applicants from a variety of experience backgrounds. MMS apprentices and other missionary aircraft mechanics account for 47 of the exams I've done.) Congratulations, Shawn.



7 comments:

chocolatechic said...

Yeah...you got your weather thing going.

I love the title of your blog. It's great!

SharonR said...

Dwight, Congratulations on 40 years of serving the aviation community. Keep up the great job and may the Lord bless you with many more years to serve His mission.

Anonymous said...

congratulations bro. I knew you when. - elderbro

Anonymous said...

WOW..... Dwight! I didn't you were THAT old??

Just kidding... what a blessing to have been in Christian service that many years!!

Anonymous said...

hey Rena --- love your blog it is great. Not bad for the first time....lol We both loved the title too. Dwight, congrats on your 40 years. Good job and we can't wait to read more.

Old Codger said...

Welcome to the blogosphere. I concur with chocolatechic and lypklusty regarding the title of your blog. We look forward to following your future postings and continuing our service at your side.

Dwight and Rena Jarboe said...

Thank you for your encouragement everyone