Friday, August 1, 2008

When I Grow Up



Maybe it's because I'll have my 60th birthday in October that nobody asks me what I want to be when I grow up. Well, even though you didn't ask, I want to be an airplane mechanic when I grow up. Today I got away from my desk, took off my administrator hat, and worked on a plane.

Last week Tim, our Production Manager, told me, "So you want to be an airplane mechanic? The T-craft needs an annual inspection. Think you can handle it?" Old mechanic, old airplane-it's a good fit.

First thing to do was comply with an FAA Airworthiness Directive to thoroughly inspect the wing strut fitting on the fuselage frame. Here, in the picture, the mechanic deftly lines the hole in the rear strut with the fitting so the attach bolt will go through. Notice how he skillfully looks through the correct lense in his tri-focals to see things clearly.

The 1941 Taylorcraft was donated to MMS Aviation a number of years ago and was kept to be available for MMS personnel who are pilots to fly. This is the plane I fly; however, I need to get my medical certificate renewed and have a biennial flight review before the T-craft and I can go defy gravity again.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great pictures, Dwight!

Didn't know you had TRI-focals though.

Maybe I will get mine when I turn 60!

~ Bill

chocolatechic said...

60???

Your turning 60????

I had no clue. You don't look it at all.

eric jarboe said...

When I grow up I want to help young people make music on 17th century technology. Next week I start my 35th year attempting to do so.