I removed the left front wheel to give better access to the brake caliper. Even though the symptom of jerking as the car moved didn't seem to indicate a dragging brake, I couldn't attribute it to anything else at the time. (Please be aware I didn't get under the car at any time.)

Well, it wasn't the brake. It was a broken spring. The surfaces indicated by the arrows in the picture below used to be a seamless part of the coil spring. Rena went online and found two accounts of the same left front spring breakage on this model of car.

If you're curious, the jerking as the car moved was caused by the (lower) broken end of the spring in contact with the inside corner of the tire tread. Surprisingly, the tire had no significant damage. By the time Rena took these pictures, I'd rotated the spring out of the way so the car can be moved without damaging the tire. No mechanical correction happens until Monday, so we'll enjoy the rest of today, worship our Lord with others tomorrow, and Monday will have enough troubles of its own.
1 comment:
Sorry to hear you guys are having car trouble! Guess God thought you needed a day of rest. Relax and enjoy it!
Post a Comment