Sunday, November 4, 2012

Second Honduras Trip - A Bit More

As I mentioned in my last blog I was in Honduras October 16-23.  The reason was to help Alas de Socorro with a major inspection of one of their planes.  The morning I left I took a few pictures of the hospital there in Ahuas, Honduras.






 I have no doubt you can read the sign, however in (my) English language version it says, "Moravian Evangelical Clinic, Ahuas".  I've referred to it as a hospital because they do surgery and house patients and do lots of "hospitally" things there, but you can call it a clinic if you like.




In two weeks they will celebrate the 82nd anniversary of the hospital.  I know that because of the date on the front of this building and some folks were talking about the celebration.

 The facility has electrical power 24 hours a day.  What looks like a porch roof in the center of this picture is a solar panel array.

 The solar panels keep eight big lead-acid batteries charged and the electricity is converted to 120 volt AC by inverters.  There are diesel powered generators that run a while each night to keep the batteries charged.





Dr. and Mrs. Benno Marx are on the hospital staff and hosted me for lunch each day.  They live in this house.  Last week Dr. Marx told me in an email they were doing appendectomies along with ever-present treatment of malaria patients.

Back at the hangar, the flight on which I'd start my trip home was waiting for weather to improve at our destination.  Enough time had been planned into the schedule that I wasn't in much danger of missing my flight back to the US.

It was a good trip.

No comments: