It's the 75th anniversary of the Douglas DC-3 design. A milestone such as this doesn't go unnoticed by the planners of AirVenture, so there is an emphasis on the type this year. The first DC-3s were civilian planes built for airline service. An excellent example is the DC-3 in American Airlines colors pictured below.
Most Dc-3s were military, and although there were several model designations, the vast majority were C-47s--affectionately called the Gooney Bird. The C-47 pictured below had a full civilian career after World War II as a DC-3C and was a missionary plane operated a time in Columbia, South America by JAARS.
My biggest thrill was discovering that the DC-3 I maintained in Bolivia for five years in the late 1970s and early '80s was here at AirVenture. I hadn't seen the plane in more than 28 years and had no idea where it was or if it still was flying. On Wednesday afternoon I discovered where the plane was parked and hoofed it nearly a mile to see it. The next morning Rena and I took the trams (yellow tram to the end of its line, then the blue tram) to visit the plane together. The owner was there and invited us to look inside which was a much bigger thrill for me than it was for Rena. The years we were in Bolivia serving with JAARS were wonderful years and it was a special blessing for me to connect again with the airplane I maintained there.
3 comments:
HiDwight and Rena,
Wow, I really like the lay-out of your blog! How did you do it?
Anyway, thanks for updating. I did not read the whole story yet because I was impress with the lay-out . I like it!
Dwight, that is so totally cool that you found "your" airplane after all these years. What a special moment and such a special connection.
Dwight, that would be a thrill. I'm glad you could be reunited with your old friend.
Post a Comment